Tuesday, March 07, 2006

One Big LOVE Story

I hold in my left hand, a book which is a record of the people who have journeyed to find the Story teller after knowing that the Story teller had first came to look for them. Some people find it strange that we are on this journey because they do not believe that there is a Story teller in the first place. Others find it more strange; if the Story teller has already looked for us, why do we need to seek after Him? If the Story teller is already telling our stories, what part do we have other than living our lives out whether we look for Him or not? The answer is already in the records, we just have to humble ourselves and look deeper.


I hold in my right hand, another book, one that I am writing. Other than my own stories, I write stories about other people too. I realised some time after writing a few such stories that they are not always chronological. The characters that I write about live out their lives chronologically, but I am outside of their time. I see their past, present and future together at the same time. I know their decisions before they make them, and I know how they would feel after they have made their choices. I know what other alternatives they have, and how their lives would pen out if they had gone on a different path. If only they would come alive and ask me, I would be able to direct them out of harm's way (though not out of training, which is at times painful).


This is where the great difference lies, my characters do not have a will of their own, they cannot choose to ignore me if I make myself known to them. But the Story teller I am looking for has graciously given free choice, so that I can reject Him daily, or accept Him just as much. What a powerful gift this is. And not only that, He has chosen to look for us, to reveal Himself to us! Wow! However, that is not the end, He actually invites us to write the Story together with Him! Unbelievable? Maybe. Crazy? Definitely. Improbable? The people of the book in my left hand begs to differ. And reading the accounts of their stories, I agree with them too. This is one big LOVE Story we are writing with Him.


1 Cor 13:13
And now these three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

No comments: