Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Three Shoes

Once upon a time, there were three pairs of shoes in a shoe shop. They were friends for as long as they can remember for the shoe maker made them on the same day. Since the first day they were laid upon the shelf side by side, they have scrutinised all their prospective owners to be. If there were anyone they liked, they would try their best to shine in order to attract attention.

Shoe 1: I would certainly like my owner to be someone important so that I would be able to travel to many different places of interest.

Shoe 2: What good is travelling? I want my owner to be someone famous, so that people can look at me and be marvelled.

Shoe 3: I do not know about all those things, I just want to be happy. How that would come I do not yet know.

Now it came to pass that all three shoes were bought on the same day. The owner of the first shoe was a businessman. He was a globetrotter. Shoe 1 shined with full delight and the businessman was his. He was bought. Shoe 2 spied an up and rising actor and immediately he gleamed. The actor was picking out shoes for his new role and promptly picked up his new shoe. Shoe 3 was left upon the shelf but an old man took notice of him. This old man seemed poor and unimportant, but as he carried the shoe in his arms, Shoe 1 felt that happiness might have come.

A few days later, all three shoes came together at a gathering. Shoe 1 and Shoe 2 were on a stage. The businessman had put money into a show that the actor was in. They were the highlight of the gathering. The old man was one of those in the crowd. Shoe 3 was on his way out.

Shoe 2: Where are you going?

Shoe 3: My master has things to do, and so I must be on my way.

Shoe 1: What sort of friend are you? Why can't you spend some time to share in our delight? I want to tell you where I have been.

Shoe 3: My life and time are not my own, so I am afraid that I cannot stay.

Shoe 2: Forget him. We can make many new friends here. I am famous now.

The old man walked on and Shoe 3 bid his farewell. Shoe 1 and Shoe 2 stayed in the limelight.

Some time later, all three shoes found themselves in a junkyard. They have been discarded.

Shoe 1: The only thing I saw were hotels and conference rooms, though I have been to more countries and cities than many.

Shoe 2: You fared better than me, after the movie was finished, I was left in a cupboard, with fifty other pairs of shoes.

Shoe 1: You looked the most worn out, life must have been hard on you.

Shoe 3 was breathing his last breath when he said this.

Shoe 3: On the contrary, I have found what I was looking for. For it is written,"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet who bring good news..." (Ish 52:7) I travelled far and wide into mountainous regions and saw nature's beauty, I brought my owner to people who loved him and were marvelled at his words. Truly I must say, I am satisfied. I am happy.

With this statement, Shoe 3 breathed his last and was not more, according to what we say in our world... In another world, his life has just began.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice post....super story about shoes....i too say some story about my nike shoes to my children..lol