Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Victory at last

My friend the Horse told me recently that I had been on a ten game losing streak (the last time that I won playing with them was way back in June 2003). That was when I just graduated from NTU and started working. Playing sparsely since then, my skills and stamina have both deteriorated. After coming back to the game recently and losing a few games, I was determined not to continue this downward trend.

Coming into the game on Sunday (6th Aug), Horse and myself decided to make some risky changes to our usual tactics, going for the stamina draining man-to-man marking instead of zone defense right at the beginning of the game. We had no idea if we can last the whole game, but it worked to good effect. We won the game with a pretty big margin eventually.

I was glad we won the game, was happier that I played a good game. Gone are the feelings of “if only I had done better in this or that…” or “if I had stamina…” Victory is sweet indeed. The man in the arena has finally gotten a victory.

There is a lesson to be learnt here for me; perseverance and hard work would eventually pay off. The rewards may not be immediate, but coupled with patience, perseverance would reap what was sown.

A line from a story I had written,

“You need to learn to play the right way, with the right attitude, do that and the wins will take care of themselves.”

And even if victory is still elusive, I believe the rewards would come in other ways. The journey builds character; the rewards of character are many.

Thank you Horse. Your hardwork paid off too in more ways than one.

No comments: